0
0 In Live Happy

Your Life Is Happening Right Now

“For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin – real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life.” – Alfred D. Souza

Your life is happening right now- it won’t start after you have graduated high school or university, after you have met the love of your life, or after you have signed up for the gym or lost ten pounds. Life is made up of every single moment, big and small, that passes by.

IMG_4557 (IG with text)Many of us are waiting for something to happen in order for our life to start or in order to finally be happy. Sometimes we are waiting for a day far into our future like the day we lose fifteen pounds, or meet the love of our life, or the day we have X number of dollars in our bank accounts. And sometimes we are simply waiting for the end of the work week to go out on Friday night or we are waiting for the end of the day when our kids have gone to bed, the dishes are clean, and we can finally sit back and watch a movie. We forget that our life consists of even those moments that seem mundane. Washing the dishes every night doesn’t have to be a task that we need to get over and done with. We can turn on the music and dance a little or play our favourite movie on our laptop as we do our chores. If the only part of the work week we are excited for is Friday at 5 p.m. when we get off work to go out, we are only excited for about 5% of the work week. We miss out on the remaining 95% that COULD have been moments that we made the effort to truly enjoy. There is no better time for our “real life” to actually start than right NOW. Do not wait for an exciting trip that you have planned or for the day you can finally fit into a size 2 or the day that you write your last exam of the semester- start living and enjoying every moment.

I try to remember all of this when I am planning my wedding. I can easily have a stressful and chaotic year while convincing myself that if my wedding day is perfect then all of the stress and chaos will be worthwhile. However, that means that I would give up a year of countless happy moments for one day that could or could not end up being “perfect”. Instead, I choose to consistently and gently remind myself to enjoy every single moment of wedding planning- everything from picking our wedding favours to trying on dresses to selecting the music that will be played. I also try to enjoy the not so fun tasks like narrowing down our wedding list and paying vendors (that one is hard, haha). I do this because all of these moments make up my life. I cannot simply navigate through this year looking forward to a day far away in my future because if I do that then I am letting so many present moments pass me by. I want to make the most of every moment.

Remember that if you are constantly waiting for life to start, you are letting life pass you by.

You Might Also Like

No Comments

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: